Menstrual periods are different for every woman. Some have short periods while others suffer from heavy periods. In fact other rarely have them at all. So that you can manage you menstrual periods better you need to get to know your cycle and detect irregularities. If you start suffering from heavy periods and other symptoms why not try some of these natural remedies. However do consult a doctor if the pain and inflammation does not subside.
In general heavy period are not serious. Nevertheless they can lead to anemia and tiredness due to blood loss.
You can also read: Painful periods: how to know if it’s adenomyosis
What are heavy periods?
Heavy periods also known as menorrhagia are when women lose more than 80 ml of blood during their periods. You could use a menstrual cup so that you can have more of an idea how much blood you lose each month. This is a more environmentally friendly and economical alternative to sanitary towels and tampons which are made of synthetic fibers.
Heavy periods often last more than 8 days sometimes even lasting up to 10 days. Women suffering from heavy periods need to use more than 8 sanitary towels per day which are long and often uncomfortable.
Our natural remedies
The good news is there are natural remedies to help relieve and regulate heavy periods. Follow the guide below!
It is possible to concoct infusions made from medicinal plants which you can drink during your period or the week before as a means to prevent heavy periods.
You can combine the medical plants together or alternate between them so as to observe their different effects on your body. This will help you to get to know their properties and to choose which help you better.
- Yarrow Plant (Achillea millefolium): This plant helps to calm irritations, anxiety an reduces bleeding;
- Saliva Plant (Sage of the diviners): One of the best medicinal plants to combat female health troubles;
- Marigold (Calendula officinalis): This flower contains lots of properties which can regulate hormones;
- Angelica sinensis, dong quai (“Female” ginseng): reduces and relieves menstrual cramp pains;
- Nettle is very beneficial for skin and hair. What’s more it can eliminate toxins, combat anemia and reduce excessive periods
- Gentian is ideal for combating heavy periods as it has cleansing properties;
- Field horsetail (Equisetum arvense) reduces menstrual bleeding and combats water retention.
Cold-pressed vegetable oils are rich in fatty acids and are very beneficial for female health. If you suffer from heavy periods you could try out:
- Evening primrose oil – this is an excellent hormone regulator which is rich in omega 6 an essential fatty acid. It is also very beneficial for the skin and has anti-inflammatory properties;
- Borage oil has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic effects while also containing hormonal regulators;
- Trace elements are mineral elements which are found in our body in small quantities. However these elements have essential functions for our health.
Bach flower remedies
Bach flowers are floral essences which are known for treating physical and emotional problems. They can also help us combat tiredness and stress.
Walnut flowers could be useful in treating irregular periods as it can adapt your cycle and can help you during emotional periods. To make the most of it’s benefits, pour 4 drops of the essence onto the tongue 4 times per day for at least three weeks.