If you notice a sensation of heaviness in your legs at the end of the day or in summer time, you may be affected by heavy legs. 70% of women experience this circulation problem. So how can you prevent and treat it? Here are a few simple and effective remedies.
What causes the sensation of heavy legs?
A feeling of heaviness in the legs usually occurs in spring and summer time when the temperatures start to climb. However, people who work in jobs that require them to remain in the same position for hours on end can suffer all year round.
Venous insufficiency affects the lower limbs in particular, and is a sign of the blood not returning efficiently to the heart, which leads to a build-up of blood in the legs. This is generally accompanied by swollen ankles, tingling, cramps and varicose veins.
How to prevent this phenomenon?
There are several ways to limit the sensation of heavy legs:
- Run some cold water over your legs.
- Massage your legs from top to bottom to encourage blood circulation in your lower limbs.
- Raise your legs with a cushion. Avoid staying in the same position – either seated or standing – and avoid lengthy queues where you are left standing for long periods.
- Go for loose fitting clothes and flat shoes.
- Cycle, swim or go jogging.
It is recommended that you drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruit and vegetables. If the sensation of heavy legs persists, wear compression stockings or supports.
What effective natural treatments are available?
Certain plants have natural properties that promote blood circulation and which can effectively treat heavy legs.
- As well as blueberry or blackberry tea, green tea can be very effective.
- Ginkgo biloba. Used for centuries in Chinese medicine, ginkgo biloba leaves contain numerous antioxidants and anticoagulants, which promote blood circulation.
- Witch hazel: the leaves and bark of this European and North American shrub are rich in flavonoids and tannins, two compounds with medicinal properties.
- Horse chestnut seeds and bark help reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Like witch hazel and ginkgo biloba, sweetclover can thin the blood.
- Finally, red vine leaves are known for their medicinal benefits in the prevention and treatment of heavy legs.